MFL – Key Stage 3
We teach French to all students in years 7, 8 and 9 and focus on providing them with a positive learning experience that will encourage students to continue with their language learning higher up the school.
Emphasis is placed on the students’ ability to understand and express their opinions in increasingly complex ways, give reasons for their opinions, use longer sentences, as they develop their language skills and also use different time frames.
In order to do this, we introduce our students to different topics in languages, that they are also familiar with, and interested in, in English. Starting in Year 7 with topics like Tintin, we continue through Key Stage 3 with themes like School, Clothes, Holidays, TV, Film, Music and finally a Dragon’s Den topic. We aim to develop our students’ vocabulary and language skills using a variety of activities and engage them in listening, speaking and reading and writing tasks that are also enjoyable.
In the Spring of Year 9 our students make their option choices which enable them to choose to continue with French as a GCSE.
- Numbers and ages
- School bag
- Where you live
- Food and drink
- Nationalities and countries
- The weather
- Personal description – physical and character, likes and dislikes.
- School – subjects, timetable, describing a school day and school food.
- Hobbies – computers and mobile phones, sports and other activities.
- Home area – town, directions, what you do and where you go at the weekend, asking someone out.
- Holidays – getting ready to go out, food and drinks, holiday plans and what you would like to do.
- Creativity – animals, poetry and painting.
- Last night
- Describing visits
- Account of a trip
- My passions
- Past, present and future.