Student Representatives

We meet as a group once per fortnight and are made up of students from years 7 to 13. We are the main general student voice in school and we meet to discuss any issues that are arising around school from lessons to uniform, canteen meals and rewards.

Anything anyone wants to find out, discuss, debate, we bring to the table and aim to find a solution. The most important part of our role is to represent the whole student body and provide a voice.


Wednesday 7 June

This week the student representatives met and discussed the following:

Enrichment trips

Dry ski slope added to the list, letters going out to students in the next couple of days.

Guidance Topics

Students asked to provide a list of guidance topics covered so far this year.

Safeguarding

Students were asked what made them feel safe in school.

Friends, Staff, Safe Zones (Students could name the safe zones)

Building inside and secure site outside – Students appreciated the use of the cameras.

Plenty of staff on duty.

Students felt that leaving school at the end of the day was an issue as it is very crushed by the exit doors.

No comment on bus travel –  Mr Bell did say staff would be traveling on the school bus at the start of the new school year and also thanked students for reporting any incident that have been witnessed on school buses.

Morning registration

 

Make-up checks are being completed.

A.O.B

Students asked when would the MUGA area be opened?


Wednesday 17 May

This week the student representatives met and discussed the following:

Ideas for Enrichment trips include:

  • Flamingo Land
  • Metro Centre
  • Walk/Cycle
  • Theatre Royal
  • South Shields
  • Zoo (Edinburgh)
  • Survival day (Like last year)

Guidance Topics

  • Anti-Bullying (Bully box in school as well as on line)
  • Mental Health Issues – Suicide/ Eating Disorders
  • Smoking/Drugs/Alcohol effects
  • Fire Safety (Fires been started in woods)
  • Gym equipment outside like in the old build for all students to use

 

A.O.B

Badges for student council reps

Problems with water fountains being abused (turning the jet around so when you press it you get wet)

To much rubbish outside and in dinner hall (more bins possibly)

 


Wednesday 22 March 2017

This week the student representative met and discussed the following:

School hall bleachers very rickety, people pushing chairs in front hurting people in front.

Heads of house to speak to tutors about where they sit

 

Andy Allman spoke to group about go smarter project. 5 volunteers were

Jamie Kane

Bethany Chambers

Emily Hurn

Abigail Turner

Adam SImpson

Lewis Archer

 

House Competitions

 

What would make you more interested in house competitions?

Advertisement (similar to hairspray)

Link them to the time of year

 

What competitions would you like to see

Bake off

Sports competitions (different sports)

Drawing

Drama

 

House system

Pros:

Colour’s

Individual house has own personality

Seperated from others in assembly

Heads of house are really reliable and helpful

Things to work on:

Competitions

House points people getting mixed up between house points and merits

Prizes for merits

Reward trips


Wednesday 8 March 2017

This week the student representative met and discussed the following:

The machines don’t take new 5 pound notes or 5 pence pieces for lunch as we are waiting for an upgrade.

Smaller students can’t reach  the service tills for food or to get a drinks. When will the sports centre be open to students. What ages is it open for?

Issue with raffle tickets and school dinners.

A discussion was held about the current school planners:

KS3

Positives

Happy with the colours

Negatives

Don’t like the design inside. Can a week be a page.

Separate section for merits and homework.

Students would like a choice if they have a planner or not

Section at back for parents

If timetables change the section at front is useless.

Could they have a blank notebook instead of a planner

Confusion about how to use planners properly (possible task for first day)

Envelope at back for storage.

KS4

Could use an app instead of planners

KS5

To many notes for parents and explanation for absence section is pointless.

Would prefer blank diaries

Like the size

 


Wednesday 15 February

This week the student representative met and discussed the following:

Use of mobile phones around school:                                                                                          A ban of mobile phones in school was discussed. This was rejected outright for the following reasons.  Not being able to use the phones at break and lunch time, the need to contact parents when running late, If you don’t have your planner you can use your phone to copy work off the board.

Rewards week feedback:                                                                                                                 It was suggested that this takes place once per term as every half term will be too much and it will lose its momentum.It was suggested to reduce the winning amounts of money to allow more students to win something smaller.  It was suggested that a department competition each half term will be good with department prizes available for students to win.

Enrichment Day:                                                                                                                                 Suggestions included; to have an enrichment week involving different departments in school, to have the whole school go on one trip like the cinema trip at Christmas not to the cinema and the students to be given the chance to vote for one trip. The usual day trips out to Wet and Wild, Laser Quasar, Flamingo Land, Edinburgh Zoo.

Wednesday 18 January

This week the student representative meetings met and discussed the following:

Talked about agenda items for PSHE suggested drugs and alcohol awareness for older students.

Talked to the students about the CCF and to let their peers know that this is starting on Thursday and to tell students to see Mr Waddle about getting involved.

Pat came in from the kitchen to invite the students voice and to promote the taster session next Wednesday from 2:30

Can a decision be made about ordering Year 11 levers hoodies as students who are not staying on to 6th form would like them and also those students who are.

Students would like feedback and an update from issues raised at previous student voice meetings.

A lot of the ICT websites games are being blocked by the company responsible for monitoring even you tube for some staff.

When is the sports cage going to open for students to use at break and lunch as the amount of space students had before Christmas has been taken away to make room for this.

Instead of BBC news playing at lunch times can a music channel be put on for students to listen to some music.the old school?

Students sitting at tables after eating their lunch socialising while students eating later are having to stand to eat meals or go in to the school hall only to be sent out of their and told to find a table in the dining area.

Anybody interested in becoming a Student Representative should inform their form tutor.

Wednesday 9th November 2016

This week the student representative meetings met and discussed the following:

Cinema Trip: The selection of movies that were on other was discussed as well as it being a good opportunity and experience for students. The students complete a survey for the canteen looking at ways to improve the existing facilities and service on offer. The school behaviour system was discussed and how it is working as well as students views about the current system. After school clubs and enrichment activities were also discussed.

Anybody interested in becoming a Student Representative should inform their form tutor.

Wednesday 21 September 2016

Student representatives from across the school met on Wednesday for the first meeting of the student council for this academic year.

Held fortnightly, the meetings allow students the opportunity to discuss anything the student body feel important and raise issues with the leaders of the school.
This week guest speakers were Mr Allman and Mr Hinshaw who discussed a variety of opportunities.

Andy offered the students an opportunity to join the Youth Parish Council as well as the Youth Parliament. On the agenda from Mr Hinshaw was the new build and how the students are finding this. Positives and negatives were discussed with Mr Hinshaw, taking the students views back to the leadership team.

Anybody interested in becoming a Student Representative should inform their form tutor.


8 June 2016

This week the student representative meetings met and discussed the following:

New Build: Mr Hinshaw attended the meeting and updated the students about the new build, students were given the opportunity to ask questions about the move to the new build and what it would entail as well as the new facilities.

Cadets: The students were informed about the new cadets programme which Mr Waddle is setting up.

The reps were then given topics to discuss with their form groups in the next fortnight. Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


25 May 2015

The student council met with Mrs Hind to discuss issues which the students have with the school. Among the items discussed by the 33 students who attended were:

  • Achievement points and spending merits
  • 6th Form rewards
  • Recycling bins in the new school

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


11th May 2016

Today the student representatives met and discussed:

  • New Build.
  • The positives about school.
  • Our new homework system on the VLE,

Mr Hinshaw went through the new build questionnaire. the pupils were asked for their input on the new displays and banners that will be shown in school with inspirational quotes.


27 January 2016

The student representatives held it’s fortnightly meeting this week to allow students a chance to voice the their opinions on the school. This week the representatives discussed extended visits the new build. Mr Hinshaw is to be invited to meetings.

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


2 December 2015

This week the student representatives discussed:

  • Water fountains in the new build
  • Clocks in new build
  • Clarification of merits in the new House system

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


18 November 2015

The student representatives met today and discussed:

  • Issues with toilets – Information taken and actioned by Mrs Richardson
  • Enterprise activities
  • Extra-curricular programme
  • House names/colours

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


4 November 2015

Today the student representatives talked about:

  • Remembrance Day
  • Key Fund activities

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


14 October 2015

This week the student representatives discussed:

  • Break and lunch food options
  • Suggestions for new rewards totals

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


30 September 2015

The student representatives met this week and discussed the following:

  • How the new behavior and reward system is working – Students positive with suggestions for improvement
  • The new Headteachers Award – Student liked this.

Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.


16 September 2015

The student council met for the first time this year with Lisa Auld to discuss issues which the students have with the school. Among the items discussed by the 34 students who attended were:

• Lessons
• The Canteen
• Break and lunch times
• Timetables
• The new planners for 6th form.

Mrs Richardson commented “It was great to have such a large turn out and that all the students were positive about the school.” Anybody who is still interested in joining the student representatives should speak to Mrs Richardson.